Decorating a home or a new room can be fun, extremely rewarding and creates a nice environment in the most important place possible, your home. Yet many people will fully decorate a house and not realize that they are missing a very important aspect, one that is very simple to include in your home decoration plans yet makes a huge difference in the style of your home. Lighting is an extremely important aspect of home decoration and one of the best ways to create a warm and comfortable house. There are millions of ways to improve the lighting in your house but from experience I can tell you that the best way to create a welcoming, well lit room is to add some modern floor lamps.
When buying a modern floor lamp you must consider what you intend to use it for. A modern lamp meant for reading must be bright, while a lamp just for decoration does not necessarily have to light the room well. The two major factors when picking a functional modern lamp are size and lamp brightness. You will want a lamp that fits nicely into your home while still being tall enough and bright enough to light up your home. Too tall of a lamp can cause your room to look lopsided and if you have very low ceilings than your modern floor lamp just might not fit.
Another good thing to consider is the amount of energy your lamp will use. Electricity costs are higher than ever and every thing you can do to lower your energy bill will be very beneficial. If your lamp is just for decoration and not required to light large areas than you should consider buying a lower watt light bulb to put in this lamp. The latest trend in modern floor lamps has been to have softer light bulbs that just emit a faint glow. If your are using this lamp for reading or for lighting an area than you will want to consider buying a high watt light bulb that has the power to light a large area. Usually a reading floor lamp will require a light bulb of at least 120 watts but other lamps can have bulbs well below 120. Also I recommend that your go with a compact fluorescent light bulb as these are much more energy efficient and will last much loner than a normal light bulb.
Figuring out the right kind and amount of lights needed for your home can be a major decision in your home décor. The decision can either make or ruin your entire style and the effect the space projects. So, what are the things to look for when you buy some modern lamps and lights for a home or office space?
- Decide the where: the first item on the agenda is to decide where you want the lights. What areas will require special lighting, which areas should have more diffused brightness, which areas need focused attention? Asking and answering these questions is the first task.
- Decide the why: part of buying the right lighting is to decide the task that each lamp is intended to help. Choose a focused task light for concentrated jobs like reading or cutting. Track lighting is fine for a sitting room, whereas spot lighting and accent lamps help to bring out interesting décor.
- Decide which style the room needs: while a stylized modern lamp or a glitzy chandelier might be just right for your living room, the kids’ room is probably better off with a lamp in animal shapes. Paper lamp shades work great for interiors, while modern lanterns and metal work looks better outside.
- Design specific lighting for special-needs areas: the kitchen for example, will need more task oriented focused lighting, especially around the counter top areas or the stove/grill area. Your study would look and function better with modern desk lamps, and living rooms will require a combination of lighting styles.
- Use mood lighting: set the mood with warm lighted corners, especially in your living room. You can achieve this effect by the judicious use of LED lamps, fireplaces, candles or other ambient/dynamic sources of light. Look around at your furniture, furnishings, and overall scheme of décor, and choose a lamp or fixture that looks good in setting the mood you have in mind.
- Coordinate: make sure the fixtures and modern lamps that you use go with everything else, in the rest of the room, not just in style, but also in color.
- Choose easy to clean lamps/fixtures: although most modern lighting emphasizes simplicity of design, some can be quite complicated and difficult to clean on a regular basis. Make life easier for yourself, pick something with simpler lines, that will be easy to clean in the long run.
- Try energy efficient styles: “go green.” Use energy efficient fluorescent lighting in all possible areas, unless it demands something else.
- Avoid glare: make sure the light fixtures or lamps are properly installed to minimize glare and give a nice all round effect of warmth.
- Use portable lighting: floor lamps, etc can be a source of additional light wherever and whenever you may require it.
A little thought, and a little planning. That’s all it takes to make your space a haven of peace and a reflection of your sense of style.